Thursday, July 23, 2015

Unicorn Eggs

They way you cook your eggs is a very personal thing for a lot of people.  The BF likes his scrambled, on the dry side.  Every time he orders eggs benedict with with his eggs SCRAMBLED and the waiter gives him a weird look I moan again in disbelief about how he can possibly enjoy his eggs without those glorious, velvety, soft, runny, yellow yolks!?!?!?! RUNNY YOLKS 4 LYFE.

I was converted to a runny yolk believer by my dad, who used to make us breakfast on Saturday mornings when I was a kid.  To this day, his preferred egg type is sunny-side-up with crispy edges and runny centers (perfect for toast dipping).

While sunny side up eggs are still near the top of my list, I am not an egg purist, and I enjoy my eggs many different forms when the occasion calls for it.  And today, the occasion called for poached eggs.  Poached eggs are a special thing.  The unicorn of eggs, if you will.  Because (for me, at least), they are one of the damn hardest things to cook.  In fact, every time (okay, the two times) I've tried to make them I end up with less than spectacular results.

But today was different than those other days (I told myself), and I wanted a unicorn.  So, after doing some extensive research on the subject (i.e. pinterest), I decided to attempt Julia Child's trick for poached eggs during my lunch break. 

The directions were essentially this:
Poke a tiny hole in your egg with a pin.

Boil for 10 seconds.

Remove and crack into individual small bowls (...cups is all I had)

Slide eggs into simmering, swirling water and cook for 3-4 minutes. 

And the end result was .........(insert drumroll here)

...slightly overcooked.  3-4 minutes was definitely too long.  Still pretty yummy with some brussel sprouts (left over from last nights dinner) and a piece of Ezekiel toast, but disappointing nonetheless.  Thus, the unicorn remains elusive.  I'll just have to give it some more practice!

I hope whoever is reading this (if anyone is reading this haha) doesn't mind if I write about foodie stuff now and then.  I don't have much experience cooking, but one of my goals for this year is to cook more of my own (somewhat healthy) meals!  What are your favorite things to cook, and how do you like your eggs?





1 comment:

  1. hehehe, I love the name of these! :] Eggs are one of my favorite things ever, partly because they're so darn versatile! (I'm definitely not an egg purist either.)

    ReplyDelete